Vegan Orange Chocolate Chip Muffin
- 1 box Marion's Cookie and Muffin Baking Mix
- 1 ½ tablespoons of baking powder
- 125 ml of vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon of ground Chia/Salba seeds mixed with ¼ cup of water
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- ¼ cup of GF oats
- 1 orange
- ¾ cup of GF and dairy-free chocolate chips
- Freshly zested orange peel or 1 teaspoon of powdered orange peel
- (Optional: Add ½ tablespoon of orange juice, GF orange flavoring, you can add up to 1 cup of chocolate chips).
- Measure and mix ¼ cup of GF oats with 1 cup of unsweetened apple sauce. Let soak for 15 – 30 minutes depending on thickness of the oats.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of ground Chia/Salba seeds. Or grind 1 ¼ teaspoons of Chia seeds. Coffee grinder works well. Mix with ¼ cup of water (orange juice option).
- Let sit approximately 15 minutes until it forms a gel.
- Line baking pan with paper cups or spray with GF baking spray.
- Peel 1 orange. Cut in small pieces. Keeping the membranes adds additional fiber to the product. If membranes are thick, you can remove them if you prefer.
- Measure 125 ml vegetable oil and ¾ cup of chocolate chips.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place Marion’s Cooking and Muffin Baking Mix in a bowl; add baking powder and mix with whisk.
- Add Chia seed gel and vegetable oil.
- Mix for (with electric mixer) 10 seconds at low speed and 1-2 minutes at high speed.
- Add applesauce/oats mixture, mix well.
- Add orange pieces and orange peel. Mix well. You may adjust flavor with some orange juice or orange flavoring.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Using a spoon or medium size ice cream scoop, fill baking cups about ¾ full.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes depending on your oven. Check with toothpick after 25 minutes. When the toothpick comes out clean, the muffins are done. This vegan muffin will become slightly more crunchy if you allow it to bake 2-3 extra minutes. The extra time is recommended because with the olive oil and Chia gel, the mixture is extra moist.